Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Looking for a Topic?

If you're looking for a topic you've posted in or read, and can't find it in this forum, it has probably been moved to one of the sub-forums in this section more directly related to the subject matter.

Power "Outage" in Teledahn, Odd Behavior of Worm Gears and Elevators

Reply to this topic Start new topic
Topic Options

Group: Full Member
wstrohm
Quote Post+ post
Jan 22 2012, 09:23 PM
In Uru Complete Chronicles, in Ages Beyond Myst, we have 3 different avatars playing 3 different instances of the game. Two of these have no trouble with power in Teledahn once the sun tracker is aligned. However the 3rd avatar is not so lucky. When his sun tracker is aligned, the 2 engaged long worm gears will turn, stop, turn, stop, etc. Also, the Teledahn elevator just outside the entrance cabin cannot be called (blue light is not lit). The "power on" sound that is normally continuous (after the sun tracker is aligned) for the other two games is also intermittent. All three games are played from the same CD, on the same computer.

Any ideas? Thanks!

--------------------
---- Bill
"Fear leads to anger; anger leads to hate; hate leads to suffering." - Yoda
Go to the top of the page
Group: AGrand Master
Alahmnat
Group: AGrand Master - Buttons aren't toys!
Quote Post+ post
Jan 26 2012, 02:28 AM
I do know that Teledahn's visible sun object has an occasional tendency to get detached from the actual "emitter" that makes the power turn on when the scope is pointed at it. In those cases, usually the only fixes are to reset the Age via the Relto bookshelf, or just drag the scope slowly around the sky until you hear everything turn on, then match speed with how fast the sun is usually moving. It sounds like you may have it double-bugged where the rotation speed is off too, but I don't recall ever hearing that being an issue (I suppose it's remotely possible something got inverted so that the emitter is moving counter-rotational to the sun disc, but I've never heard of THAT happening either, so...).

Have you tried resetting the Age? Click the D'ni zero symbol below the Teledahn Book on your Relto bookshelf, then link into the Age fresh via the Linking Book in the Bahro pillar outside. If you've tried that and it hasn't fixed it, you may have to resort to just staring through the scope until you hear the machinery turn on, then try to move the view at the right rate so that it stays on. May need to wait a few minutes before looking away while everything's working to make sure you're on target.

Are you all playing off of the same file set, or is the game installed in 3 different places on your computer, once for each person? If it's installed multiple times, maybe try re-installing if none of that helps, as a file may have gotten borked. If everything's playing off of the same file set, though, that's weird (though like I said, not unheard of for certain bug problems... Uru is kinda flakey at the best of times).

--------------------
Be the storyteller
Don't worry, even Rand can't say my name right.
wstrohm
Quote Post+ post
Jan 26 2012, 03:59 PM
Alahmnat,

Thank you very much for your response. My wife discovered on her own that resetting the Age via the lower symbol fixed it; I couldn't get anywhere chasing that sun at any speed or in either direction! I was surprised that all 7 journey cloths remained "saved" after she did that, even though a lot of puzzles were no longer solved. You are the man! (And she is the woman!)

--------------------
---- Bill
Alahmnat
Quote Post+ post
Jan 27 2012, 01:07 PM
Happy to help smile.gif

The journey stuff is sort of weird, because it's kind of part of your overall progress, rather than progress in a specific Age, since it's part of a more overarching system. But yeah, it won't reset when you reset an Age. Oh Uru, you so goofy...

--------------------
Be the storyteller
wstrohm
Quote Post+ post
Feb 20 2012, 08:51 PM
Adding to my previous question, even though it's a different problem and just cropped up, but still in Teledahn and only Teledahn.

Wife recently wanted to play Myst Masterpiece and Riven on her Windows 7 HP DV-6 laptop, so she uninstalled QuickTime 7.7.1 and installed QuickTime 4.0. That worked fine for both those games. After she was done, she re-installed QuickTime 7.7.1. Then when she started playing URU CC on the laptop for the first time, the ages of Gahreesen and Kadish Tolesa played perfectly, but Teledahn does not. She goes to Teledahn and presses three times on the sun tracker's large button to raise the antenna, and she is kicked out of the game. Windows 7 puts up an error message: "Main Branch/built 5/26/2004 at 5:19 pm has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly..." . She re-installed QT 7.7.1, but that was no help. The discs are nearly brand new and I cannot see any scratches or film on them. Resetting Teledahn does not help in this case; she tried it. If she attempts to use Program Compatibility mode, a message comes up that says (roughly) that the folder in Program Files containing the app is "not valid," blah, blah. Does this mean URU CC cannot use the default installation location?

--------------------
---- Bill
Alahmnat
Quote Post+ post
Feb 22 2012, 10:48 PM
I don't think it's an issue with the location where the game data is located, it's likely just a file corruption issue. It sounds like one of the Teledahn files has gotten corrupted, specifically. The game doesn't do anything with the disc once it's installed, it's just used for copy protection, so it's not a read issue on the disc's part. You're probably going to need to reinstall Uru to fix the problem though, but I don't know enough about the offline client to know where the game's save data is located to try and back that up first.

--------------------
Be the storyteller

« Next Oldest · Myst Series / Offline Uru Discussion and Tech Support · Next Newest »

Reply to this topic Start new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd November 2014 - 03:58 PM