Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

State of the Website, 2012 Edition

Reply to this topic Start new topic
Topic Options

Group: AGrand Master
Alahmnat
Group: AGrand Master - Buttons aren't toys!
Quote Post+ post
Jan 3 2012, 01:52 PM
It's time for my seemingly annual visit, yay!

So last year's update laid out everything that needed to be done to get DPWR up and running on the latest software platform and really make it into a modern website again. Unfortunately, the biggest part of that work, overhauling the Archive's code base, didn't happen.

The good news is, there's light at the end of the tunnel now. The software package I'll be using to run all of the non-forum sections of the website is being updated this spring to support everything I need in order to make running the Archive on it feasible. It's also an officially-developed component produced by the same company that makes the forum software, so it's far less likely to suddenly turn into abandonware and leave us in the lurch again like the current Archive component has.

So, with that happening this spring, I'm getting everything else ready in advance so that we'll be ready to roll with the new software ASAP.

In addition to the new website coming by mid-year, we've got some new ways to connect with those of us here at DPWR, which will no doubt come in handy since I'm not turning registration back on until I can be sure there are better anti-spambot protections in place.

For those of you on Twitter, follow @ArchivistsGuild.

If you're on Google+, you can check out our DPWR.NET Page. I'll be posting news and updates there as well as here, and using it to feature content from the Archive while the new site is still under development. Circle and +1 us, and share us around!

I'll be making announcements about what you can expect from the new site, and hopefully more specific information on when it can be expected, as things progress. For now, though, enjoy this teaser:

Attached File  Screen_Shot_2012_01_03_at_10.00.01_AM.png ( 227.45K ) Number of downloads: 3

--------------------
Be the storyteller
Don't worry, even Rand can't say my name right.
Go to the top of the page
Group: M Moderator
Fallstar
Quote Post+ post
Jan 4 2012, 08:57 PM
alahmnat.gif Looking forward to the new site!

--------------------
D'ni Tin Hat Society Grand Poobah
====
Alahmnat
Quote Post+ post
Mar 16 2012, 01:20 PM
Status report!

I'm having to wait until IP.Board 3.3 and IP.Content 2.3 come out before I can complete the upgrade here, because IP.Content will be the Archive's new back-end, and there are a ton of things in 2.3 that I need to have, in order to fully implement is as the Archive's replacement platform. Fortunately, the software is in beta release right now, so I'm poking around with it right now, and working on what needs to be done to port all of the Archive's content to the new platform.

I would anticipate that the final release of IP.Board 3.3 and IP.Content 2.3 will be in another month, perhaps 2 at the outside. I expect the Archive work to take a month or so in addition to that, so I'm targeting sometime in June for the update to go live here.

I really do wish I could get this update out sooner, because it's sooooo much better than what we're working with right now, but alas, that's not to be. I ask your continued patience while I work (and wait) to get everything nailed down. Also, if anyone knows of a PHP programmer who might be willing to lend a hand (besides OHB), I'd appreciate it if you sent them my way. smile.gif

--------------------
Be the storyteller
Alahmnat
Quote Post+ post
Mar 21 2012, 12:08 PM
So of course 4 days after I say "the software I need should be available in a month or two", the final versions are released.

I still wouldn't look for an update to the site here until June, but it's possible I could get things running before then. Maybe early May? Maybe before that, even? Depends on my day job workload...

Anyway, I'm very much looking forward to this. It's going to be the biggest upgrade this site's gotten in years. I just have to get the work done first, hehe.

--------------------
Be the storyteller
Fallstar
Quote Post+ post
May 4 2012, 02:17 PM
Thanks for the update AL! boot1.gif

--------------------
D'ni Tin Hat Society Grand Poobah
====
Alahmnat
Quote Post+ post
Aug 1 2012, 01:36 PM
I've changed course on how I plan on handling this upgrade. For more information about what this means for DPWR.NET and the Guild of Archivists, please see this topic.

--------------------
Be the storyteller

« Next Oldest · The Lounge · Next Newest »

Reply to this topic Start new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 09:01 PM