Well, Ok. Here's what I know so far on how to make a Linking book (either average or small hardcover book):
1. Find paper of quality texture and/or quality size.
2. Use leather strips(or another material that looks like it) and size them up to your liking. They will be used as the spine and for a rustic decoration.
3. Find any other material(preferably paper) to use as the cover.
4. Two pieces of cardboard or *layered paper can be used to create the "hard" cover. One for front; the other for back.
5. Fold cover material over the cardboard, leaving an ample amout of open space(between 1.5 cm and 3cm, depending on the book being big or small). The edges must rap over the sides of the cardboard to atleast 0.5 to 1 cm. Fold the corners inward, and glue cover to cardboard.
6. Bind paper using glue (hot glue, *glue stick, or glue bottle). Then, after binding the pages together, glue the first and last page to the front and back covers.
If this helps, try it. If not, I'll try to post a pictured step-by-step version later.
Enjoy and have fun making Linking books!