I was thinking the other day (scary, I know!), about URU and the coming expansion packs. And I was imagining how great it would be if Cyan could continue making expansion packs for years and years and years, so that we would essentially have a massive fantastic world that never stopped growing! Of course, to be able to do that, they would need a huge audience of people who have bought the box version of URU in the first place.
So my next thought was that maybe we could all do our little bit to help achieve this - to make URU Prime a bit more popular and get a few more buyers. No huge advertising campaign - but just a simple letter writing campaign to some key people. Considering all that Cyan does to support our fan community, I don't think it should be too hard for us to write a few letters.
I thought I'd throw my ideas out to DPWR and see what you think, and if you'd be willing to get on board. If you're interested and willing to contribute, we can start spreading ideas to other forums and writing letters (after receiving Cyan's permission). Or, if you think I'm overstepping my bounds, I'll drop the idea altogether. Here's my initial ideas, I've divided them up into Global
ideas...Local Ideas - Things each individual can do to help raise URU's profile in our area
Global Ideas - Things we can do as a group to gain URU some worldwide extra exposure
- Write to any gaming magazines published in your country and ask them to do a review of URU
- Submit an URU Review to your local newspaper
- That's all the local ideas I have so far
- Submit a large number of URU reviews to various online stores such as Amazon, Barnes & Noble, etc.
- Write to UBI to request two things for URU
- That from now on, URU Prime boxes be printed with an extra advertisement/sticker on them that advertises that XP1 is free. I think more people would be inclined to purchase URU Prime if they knew they were getting two games for the price of one
- That URU XP1 be available on CD for people who wish to send away for it. Cyan have stated that they want dial-up players to be able to continue the adventure of URU through the expansion packs. However, I'm concerned that the average dial up user will not be willing to wait patiently and fight the queues at Gigex for XP1. Most dial-up users I know (in this backward company anyway) would much rather send away for their CD
- Write Mandalay and ask them if they have any plans to try and sell their Myst Mini Series concept to other networks. Let them know that you'd watch it, and if you'd buy it if it were released straight to DVD. FYI - In the TV industry, the opinion of one person who writes a letter to the network/production company are is generally considered to be worth the equivalent of the opinion of 1,000 viewers
They're my rough ideas. Please let me know what you think, and if you have any more.
Phew! Thanks for reading.